About Dr. Tom Hanson, Ph.D
Dr. Tom Hanson, Ph.D has coached baseball players ranging from World Champions to Little Leaguers since 1983.
Dr. Hanson played college ball at Luther College (including 3 Iowa Conference Championships). He then served as a graduate assistant at the University of Illinois, the hitting coach at The University of Virginia (3 years), and head coach at Skidmore College, NY (7 years). Dr. Hanson also played rugby for 9 years (including 3 Big Ten Championships), coached youth sport teams and directed sports camps and clinics.
Career highlights include:
- Full-time Performance Enhancement director for the New York Yankees (2001)
- Performance Enhancement Consultant for the Texas Rangers (1999, 2000)
- Performance Enhancement services for Anaheim Angels & Minnesota Twins
- Head baseball coach and tenured professor at Skidmore College (NY) (1990-1997).
- Co-Author of Heads-Up Baseball: Playing the Game One Pitch at a Time.
- Interviews with Hank Aaron, Rod Carew, Pete Rose, Tony Oliva, Carl Yastrzemski, Stan Musial, Kirby Puckett, Billy Williams and others for my research on the Mental Aspects of Hitting.
- Interviews with pitching greats Nolan Ryan, Tommy John, Ferguson Jenkins, Bert Blyleven and many current major league players.
- Corporate Coaching and Training for businesspeople and organizations ranging from Fortune 500 Companies to start-ups.
- Ph.D. in sport psychology from the University of Virginia (1991)
- M.S. in sport psychology from the University of Illinois (1987)
- Certified Personal and Professional Coach, The Newfield Network (2000)
- Certified Yoga Teacher, Kripalu Yoga Center, (1996)